CBLVCAT is a batch utility to generate:
- Status reports for data set entries
in DASD VTOCs and ICF/VSAM catalogs.
- VSAM data set tuning recommendations.
- AMS/IDCAMS DEFINE job streams.
- Standard VSE Label Area report.
Report generation features include:
- Standard (default) reports for ICF/VSAM
catalogs, VTOCs and the VSE Label area
(no user parameters need be specified.)
These reports display those file attributes
that are considered to be of most interest
to the user.
- Required information for each catalog,
VTOC or Label Area entry is displayed
on a single report line. This is in contrast
to the less readable AMS/IDCAMS LISTCAT
reports that display all possible information
for a catalog entry, potentially over
- Catalog sub-report containing VOLUME
information for all DASD referenced by
data sets in the catalog.
- Optional VTOC free space table displaying
start and number of free tracks (or FBA
blocks) on the volume.
- REPORT and OPTION parameters provide
the facility to customise report field
headers and format of report data.
- SUBSET parameters provide control for
sort and filter of entries.
- Warning messages and column data flags.
These indicate the condition of data sets
in the report based on internal and user
controlled limits. Messages are assigned
a severity level reflecting the seriousness
of the data set's condition. The level
of severity encountered on execution of
a CBLVCAT job stream determines the final
return code. In this way, the condition
of groups of data sets can be monitored
simply by scheduling execution of the
same CBLVCAT job at regular intervals
and testing for a change in the return
- Optionally, all data obtained during
the CBLVCAT execution may also be written,
without report headers and in character
format, to a RECFM=V file.
- VSE VTOC file entry modification/deletion.
VSAM file tuning features include:
- AMS/IDCAMS re-organisation control statements
including recommendations based on user
specified operating system and/or DASD
device type. This allows modelling of
the VSAM data set prior to migration from
VSE to z/OS or to new DASD device types.
- User control over principal tuning parameters
allowing local knowledge of the file's
processing to influence eventual recommendations.
e.g. average record length, file growth,
- Capacity information detailing percentage
use of the primary and secondary space
allocations before and after tuning recommendations
- Alternative JCL bufferspace specifications
to override AMS/IDCAMS defined value for
faster sequential processing.
- Optional generation of the AMS/IDCAMS
DELETE/DEFINE data set reorganisation
CBLVCAT includes SELCOPY/i,
CBL interactive environment modules. Starting
SELCOPY/i provides users with a working environment
for generating interactive CBLVCAT reports,
text edit (via the accompanying CBLe text
editor) and general system and data set
management via list facilities.
CBLVCAT exeuction in SELCOPY/i provides the
following added benefits:
- Execution without submitting to batch.
CBLVCAT control may be passed via the
command line or a control file.
- Colour coded report fields highlight
flagged data and important messages.
- Prefix area commands allow the user
to easily launch further CBLVCAT execution
for an individual entry, execute an AMS/IDCAMS
LISTCAT, edit an entry's data (CBLe text
editor) or open list windows.